Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Aesthetic Brilliance of Fantasy Movies

  Fantasy movies are a fantastic way of escaping from trials and tribulations of the real world. I can remember watching The Never Ending Story when I was about four and wondering what the fur/feathers of Falkor might feel like. I am still really fascinated with the design of these worlds and how artists collaborate together; costume designers, the hair and makeup professionals, set designers, animators (computer and hand alike), to create extraordinary realms.
  There are currently several design trends afoot in the design of movies and it is my goal to recognize the changing aesthetics of this genre and attempt to relate the designs meanings to happenings in the real world.
  There are many movies I am absorbing myself in to get a feel for what trends are out there. Currently on the movie scene is Coraline, Inkheart, Land of the Lost, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Coming soon is 9, Cloudy with a Chance of Meat Balls, Alice in Wonderland, Where the Wild Things are, Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and The Spiderwick Chronicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment